- a woman, specifically one with control, authority or ownership
- She was the mistress of the mansion, and owned the horses.
- a female teacher
- games mistress
- a female partner in an extramarital relationship, generally including sexual relations.
- a dominatrix
In the sexual sense, mistress is narrowly taken to mean a woman involved in a committed extramarital relationship (an affair), often supported financial (a kept woman). It is broadly taken to mean a woman involved in an extramarital relationship regardless of the level of commitment, but requires more than a single act of adultry.
- (woman with control, authority or ownership): boss (applicable to either sex), head (applicable to either sex), leader (applicable to either sex)
- (female teacher): schoolmarm
- (woman who displaces a wife in the affections of a man): bit on the side (applicable to either sex), fancy woman
- See also Wikisaurus:mistress
- (woman with control, authority or ownership): master
- (female teacher): master
- (female partner in an extramarital affair): cicisbeo, fancy man
- (dominatrix): master
- ↑ Tiger Woods Does Not Have 11 “Mistresses”: His many paramours aren’t committed enough to merit that term. by Jesse Sheidlower, Slate.com, Dec. 10, 2009.