NounModificarMedium (plural media or mediums)
- (plural media) The nature of the surrounding environment, e.g. solid, liquid, gas, vacuum, or a specific substance such as a solvent.
- (plural media) The material or empty space through which signals, waves or forces pass.
- (plural media) A format for communicating or presenting information.
- (plural media, microbiology) A nutrient solution for the growth of cells in vitro.
- (plural media) The means or channel by which an aim is achieved.
- (plural mediums) A liquid base which carries pigment in paint.
- (plural mediums, spiritualism) Someone who supposedly conveys information from the spirit world.
- (plural mediums) Anything having a measurement intermediate between extremes, such as a garment or container.
- (plural mediums) A person whom garments or apparel of intermediate size fit.
(format for communicating or presenting information):
- 1996: In some instances one can take advantage of differential carbohydrate fermentation capabilities of microorganisms by incorporating one or more carbohydrates in the medium along with a suitable pH indicator. Such media are called differential media (e.g., eosin methylene blue or MacConkey agar) and are commonly used to isolate enteric bacilli. — Medical Microbiology, ed. Samuel Baron, MD.
- (format for communicating or presenting information): differential medium
AdjectiveModificarMedium (not comparable)
- (obsolete) Arithmetically average.
- Of intermediate size, degree, amount etc.
- Of meat, cooked to a point greater than rare but less than well done; typically, so the meat is still red in the centre.
- See also Wikisaurus:intermediate
- Medium in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Medium in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
From Latin medium.
- IPA: /meːdiɔm/, [ˈmeːˀd̥jɔm]
- Neuter form of medius.
ar:medium de:medium et:medium es:medium fr:medium ko:medium io:medium kn:medium kk:medium ku:medium hu:medium ml:medium nl:medium ja:medium pl:medium ru:medium simple:medium fi:medium ta:medium te:medium tr:medium vi:medium zh:medium