Middle English librarie from Patrono:Xno[[Category:Patrono:Xno derivations|Library]] [[librarie#Patrono:Xno|librarie]], from Old French librairie, from Latin librarius (“‘concerning books’”), from librarium (“‘bookcase, chest for books’”), from liber (“‘the inner bark of trees", "paper", "parchment", "book’”), probably derived from a Proto-IE base * (leub(h)), “‘to strip", "to peel’”). Displaced native Middle English bochus, bochous "library, bookhouse" (from Old English bōchūs "library, bookhouse").
- (UK) IPA: /ˈlaɪbɹəɹɪ/, SAMPA: /"laIbr@ri/
- (US) IPA: /ˈlaɪbɹɛɹi/, SAMPA: /"laIbrEri/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- An institution which holds books and/or other forms of stored information for use by the public or qualified people. It is usual, but not a defining feature of a library, for it to be housed in rooms of a building, to lend items of its collection to members either with or without payment, and to provide various other services for its community of users.
- A collection of books or other forms of stored information. An individual may refer to his collection of books and other items as his library.
- An equivalent collection of analogous information in a non-printed form, e.g. record library
- Patrono:Computer science A collection of subprograms used to develop software.
- False friends of library include French librairie (“‘bookshop’”) and Italian libreria (“‘bookshop’”).
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
az:library zh-min-nan:library ca:library cs:library de:library et:library el:library fr:library ko:library hy:library io:library id:library it:library kn:library kk:library sw:library ku:library lo:library hu:library ml:library nl:library ja:library no:library oc:library pl:library pt:library simple:library fi:library sv:library tl:library ta:library te:library th:library tr:library uk:library vi:library zh:library