- Any person or thing that leads or conducts; a guide; a conductor.
- One who goes first.
- Follow the leader.
- One having authority to direct; a chief; a commander.
- We elected her team leader.
- One who leads a political party or group of elected party members, as Leader of the House of Commons or Senate Majority Leader
- A person or thing that leads in a certain field in terms of excellence, success, etc.
- The company is the leader in home remodeling in the county.
- (music) A performer who leads a band or choir in music; also, in an orchestra, the principal violinist; the one who plays at the head of the first violins; a conductor.
- The dominant animal in a pack of animals, such as wolves or lions.
- An animal placed in advance of others, especially on a team; one of the forward pair of horses.
- (botany) A fast-growing terminal shoot of a woody plant.
- A pipe for conducting rain water from a roof to a cistern or to the ground; a conductor.
- Patrono:UK The first, or the principal, editorial article in a newspaper; a leading or main editorial article; a lead story.
- (fishing) A section of line between the main fly line and the snell, to which the snell of a fly hook is attached.
- A piece of blank tape or film at the beginning or end of a reel to allow the material to the threaded onto something, as a reel of film onto a projector.
- Patrono:Marketing A loss leader or a popular product sold at a normal price.
- Patrono:Printing A type having a dot or short row of dots upon its face.
- Patrono:Printing A row of dots, periods, or hyphens, used in tables of contents, etc., to lead the eye across a space to the right word or number.
- (fishing) A net for leading fish into a pound, weir, etc.
- (mining) A branch or small vein, not important in itself, but indicating the proximity of a better one.
- Patrono:Nautical A block of hard wood pierced with suitable holes for leading ropes in their proper places.
- Patrono:Engineering The drive wheel in any kind of machinery.
Part or all of this page has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
Leader m. (plural Leaders)
leader m. and f. inv.
- leader (chief; one in front)
zh-min-nan:leader de:leader et:leader el:leader fa:leader fr:leader ko:leader io:leader id:leader it:leader kn:leader kk:leader sw:leader ku:leader lo:leader hu:leader ml:leader ja:leader no:leader pl:leader pt:leader ru:leader simple:leader fi:leader sv:leader ta:leader te:leader tr:leader vi:leader zh:leader