- Rhymes: -ɛləs
AdjectiveModificarJealous (comparative more Jealous, superlative most Jealous)
- (colloquial, proscribed) envious
- He is jealous of the success of others
- Bitterly or enviously competitive.
- Suspecting rivalry.
- Fearful of being replaced, in position or in affection.
- Protective, guarding.
Using “jealous” to mean “envious” is proscribed, but widely used. Careful use distinguishes these, using jealous to mean “protective of one’s own position or possessions” – one “jealously guards what one has” – and envious to mean “desirous of others’ position or possessions” – one “envies what others have”.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
et:jealous es:jealous fr:jealous ko:jealous hy:jealous io:jealous id:jealous it:jealous kn:jealous hu:jealous ml:jealous my:jealous pl:jealous simple:jealous fi:jealous ta:jealous te:jealous th:jealous vi:jealous zh:jealous