- gaol (British, Australian)
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪl
- A prison; a place of detention; a place where a person convicted or suspected of a crime is detained.
- Template:Rfex (uncountable) Confinement in a jail.
- (slang) school
- I have to go to jail for 5 days per week.
- (horse racing) The requirements that a horse claimed in a claiming race not be run at another track for (usually) 30 days.
- (prison): Like many nouns denoting places where people spend time, jail requires no article after certain prepositions: hence in jail (“‘detained in a jail’”), go to jail (“‘become detained in a jail’”), and so on. The forms in a jail, go to a jail, and so on do exist, but tend to imply mere presence in the jail, rather than detention there.
- big house
- jail sentence
Third person singular
to Jail (third-person singular simple present -, present participle -, simple past and past participle -)
- To imprison.
de:jail et:jail el:jail es:jail fr:jail ko:jail hy:jail io:jail it:jail kn:jail kk:jail sw:jail ku:jail hu:jail ml:jail my:jail oc:jail pl:jail ru:jail simple:jail fi:jail sv:jail ta:jail te:jail tr:jail vi:jail zh:jail