- (obsolete) Unseasonableness; an unsuitable or inapproproate time.
- A constant and insistent demanding.
- 1602 : Hamlet by William Shakespeare, act 1 scene 3 lines 28-29-30-31
- Then weigh what loss your honour may sustain
- If with too credent ear you list his songs
- Or lose your heart, or your chaste treasure open
- To his unmastered importunity.
- 1611 : The Bible (KJV), Luke 11:8
- I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
- 1766, Oliver Goldsmith, The Vicar of Wakefield
- Still, however, being surrounded with importunity, and no longer able to satisfy every request that was made him, instead of money he gave promises.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.