NounModificarFootball (countable and uncountable; plural Footballs)
- (not North America, uncountable) association football: a game in which two teams each contend to get a round ball into the other team's goal primarily by kicking the ball.
- Each team scored three goals when they played football.
- (US, uncountable) American football: a game in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball to the end of each other's territory.
- Each team scored two touchdowns when they played football.
- (Canadian, uncountable) Canadian football: a game played on a wide field in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball to the end of each other's territory.
- They played football in the snow.
- (Australian, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Patrono:Context 5) Australian rules football.
- (Australian, New South Wales, Queensland, uncountable) rugby league.
- (countable) The ball used in any game called "football".
- The player kicked the football.
- (uncountable) Practise of these particular games, or techniques used in them.
- (metaphorical, countable) An item of discussion, particularly in a back-and-forth manner
- That budget item became a political football.
- (Irish, uncountable) A field game played with similar rules to hurling, but using hands and feet rather than a stick, and a ball, similar to, yet smaller than a soccer ball.
- (slang, countable) The nickname of the leather briefcase containing classified nuclear war plans, which is always near the US President.
- ("football" in Britain):
- ("football" in the US): (British) American football, (Australian) gridiron, gridiron football
- ("football" in Canada): (outside Canada) Canadian football
- ("football" in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia): footy, Aussie Rules, VFL (outdated), AFL
- ("football" in New South Wales and Queensland): footy, league
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Category:Football (Soccer) for a list of terms used in football/soccer.
- 15px Football on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- 15px American football on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:American football
- Translations of football (soccer) terms
Football m. (plural Footballs)
- football (soccer)
be:football de:football et:football el:football eo:football fa:football fr:football ko:football hy:football hi:football hr:football io:football id:football it:football kn:football sw:football ku:football lo:football lt:football hu:football ml:football my:football nl:football ja:football no:football pl:football pt:football ru:football simple:football sr:football fi:football ta:football te:football th:football tr:football vi:football zh:football