- Rhymes: -iːpən
Third person singular
- To make deep or deeper; to increase the depth of; to sink lower; as, to deepen a well or a channel.
- To make darker or more intense; to darken; as, the event deepened the prevailing gloom.
- To make more poignant or affecting; to increase in degree; as, to deepen grief or sorrow.
- To make more grave or low in tone; as, to deepen the tones of an organ.
- To become deeper; as, the water deepens at every cast of the lead; the plot deepens.
to make deep or deeper
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.