AdjectiveBackward (comparative more Backward, superlative most Backward)
- (of motion) Pertaining to the direction towards the back.
- (of motion) Pertaining to the direction reverse of normal.
- The occasional backward movement of planets is evidence they revolve around the sun.
- Reluctant or unable to advance.
- Don't be backward in suggesting story ideas to local media but always think of the wants, needs and desires of their readers when selling-in story ideas.
- Of a culture considered undeveloped or unsophisticated.
- Most cruelly, the immediate security interests of the United States and the states surrounding Somalia are now to keep it a failed state, to prevent Islamists from consolidating even a weak state centered on Mogadishu. The leader of the victorious faction, one Aden Hashi 'Ayro, is said to be a veteran of Afghanistan; he knows well what a small sanctuary in a backward corner of the globe can mean for al Qaeda. 
- Pertaining to a thought or value that is considered outdated.
- Replace the morbid, bankrupting, backward idea of superpower domination: Weapons dismantled. Global warming reversed. Perhaps, in time, overpopulation, poverty, starvation, ignorance and disease all resolved. Thus, moral determination combined with 21st Century science, ecology and social initiatives will make possible a resonant fulfillment of our American Revolution 
- Patrono:Cricket On that part of the field behind the batsman's popping crease.
- Patrono:Cricket Further behind the batsman's popping crease than something else.
of the direction towards the back
of the direction reverse of normal
of an outdated value
AdverbBackward (comparative more Backward, superlative most Backward)
- (of motion) In the direction towards the back; backwards
in the direction towards the back
et:backward es:backward fa:backward io:backward kn:backward lt:backward hu:backward my:backward ja:backward pl:backward pt:backward ru:backward simple:backward ta:backward te:backward th:backward vi:backward zh:backward
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.