- Patrono:Greek mythology a member of a mythical race of female warriors inhabiting the Black Sea area
- A female warrior.
- A tall, strong, or athletic woman.
Spanish, Río Amazonas. It is common belief that the Spanish explorer Francisco de Orellana fought a battle against a tribe of Tapuya savages, in which the women fought alongside the men. He no doubt derived the name from the Amazons in Greek mythology.
- relating to the area around the Amazon River in South America (e.g., the Amazon Basin, the Amazon Rainforest); or referring to the river itself, The Amazon
- Patrono:Rivers A river of South America that flows through Brazil for about 4000 miles to the South Atlantic.
- Any of the large parrots from the genus Amazona.