See also Acre
- (obsolete) A field.
- A unit of surface area (symbol a. or ac.), originally as much as a yoke of oxen could plough in a day; later defined as an area 1 chain (22 yd) by 1 furlong (220 yd), or 4,840 square yards. Equivalent to about 4,046.86 square metres.
- (in plural, informal) A large amount (of area).
- I like my new house - there’s acres of space!
Unit of surface area
Probably from Old Norse akr.
Acre f. (plural Acres)
From Latin ācre, the neuter nominative form of ācer "sharp"
acre m and f (m and f plural acri)
- neuter nominative singular of ācer
- neuter accusative singular of ācer
- neuter vocative singular of ācer
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.