abolition n abolition, abolishment
abolition (abolishment) n abolition
- The act of abolishing, or the state of being abolished; an annulling; abrogation; utter destruction; as, the abolition of slavery or the slave trade; the abolition of laws, decrees, ordinances, customs, taxes, debts, etc.
- Note: The application of this word to persons is now unusual or obsolete.
- (often capitalised), (in British territories) The ending of the slave trade (1807) or of slavery (1833).
- (often capitalised), (in the US) the emancipation of slaves, by the Emancipation Proclamation (1863, ratified 1865).
act of abolishing
Abolition of slave trade
emancipation of slaves
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Abolition f. (plural Abolitions)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.