From Latin abdicātus, perfect passive participle of abdicō (“‘abdicate’”), formed from ab + dicō (“‘proclaim, dedicate’”), akin to dīcō (“‘say’”).
Third person singular
to Abdicate (third-person singular simple present abdicat, present participle ing, simple past and past participle -)
- (transitive) To surrender, renounce or relinquish, as sovereign power; to withdraw definitely from filling or exercising, as a high office, station, dignity; as, to abdicate the throne, the crown, the papacy.
- Note: The word abdicate was held to mean, in the case of James II, to abandon without a formal surrender.
- (transitive) (obsolete) To reject; to cast off. - Bishop Joseph Hall
- (transitive) (law) To disclaim and expel from the family, as a father his child; to disown; to disinherit.
- (intransitive) To relinquish or renounce a throne, or other high office or dignity; to renounce sovereignty.
- Though a king may abdicate for his own person, he cannot abdicate for the monarchy. Edmund Burke
- (surrender, renounce, or relinquish): give up, relinquish, renounce, quit, vacate, surrender, relent
- (reject; cast off): forsake, abandon, desert, renounce, relent
- (disclaim and expel from family; disown; disinherit): forsake, give up
- (relinquish or renounce a high office or sovereignty): relinquish, renounce, resign, quit, give up, vacate, relent
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Macedonian: се одкажува (se odkažuva)
- Slovak: vzdať sa (úradu), odstúpiť, zriecť sa
- second person plural present tense of abdicare
- second person plural imperative of abdicare
am:abdicate ar:abdicate ca:abdicate et:abdicate el:abdicate fa:abdicate fr:abdicate gl:abdicate ko:abdicate io:abdicate it:abdicate kn:abdicate hu:abdicate ml:abdicate my:abdicate ja:abdicate oc:abdicate pl:abdicate pt:abdicate fi:abdicate sv:abdicate ta:abdicate te:abdicate th:abdicate chr:abdicate tr:abdicate uk:abdicate vi:abdicate vo:abdicate zh:abdicate